Tuesday, 25 August 2015

South and North Korea agree deal to reduce tensions

South Korean soldiers ride on a truck near the demilitarized zone dividing the two Koreas - 24 August 2015
South Korea has agreed to halt cross-border propaganda broadcasts as part of a deal with North Korea to defuse tension after recent confrontations.
Seoul started the broadcasts after a landmine injured two of its soldiers on the border earlier this month.
The South's lead negotiator said the move came after the North agreed to express "regret" over the incident.


The agreement came after marathon talks that began after an exchange of fire at the border last Thursday.
The negotiations in the abandoned "truce village" of Panmunjom inside the demilitarised zone were said to have ended at 00:55 local time on Tuesday (15:55 GMT Monday).
A joint statement said South Korea would stop the loudspeaker broadcasts at midday on Tuesday and the North would end its "semi-state of war".
Both countries have also agreed to work towards a resumption of reunions for families separated by the 1950-53 Korean War.
National security adviser Kim Kwan-jin, who led the negotiations for the South, said there would be follow-up talks to discuss a range of issues on improving ties
But he said it was not the right time to push for a summit between the leaders of the two countries.

South Korean national security adviser Kim Kwan-jin speaks during a press conference at the presidential house in Seoul - 25 August 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment